Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Filling in My Reading Gaps

When I was in 3rd grade, I spent a lot of time in the library. When finished with school work, I was allowed to go across the hall and read until I was sent for. One day, the librarian asked me why I looked sad. "I'll never be able to read all these books," I murmured.

As an adult, I understand the obviousness of this impossible quest. Do I despair? Of course not. I do what I can to keep up with contemporary lit; read books the kids leave around; and buy books at book sales, some I myself donated. My kids read a lot so I get exposed to younger authors now and then, but also to ones I've inexplicably missed, like Nick Hornby. I found A Long Way Down sitting there on a bookshelf yearning to be read again. Mariel said it was good, and that so of his novels were, too.

A Long Way Down is about four people who intend to throw themselves off a 15-story building near London on New Year's Eve. There's Martin, a disgraced 40-something television broadcaster whose family left him when he slept with a 15-year old and did jail time for it. Maureen, a sixtyish matron who lives alone caring for her fortyish son who was born in a vegetative state, has spent her entire adulthood caring for him. Jess, in her early 20's, despises her life and tries to medicate her despair with sex, alcohol and drugs. Finally, there's JJ, an American (the other 3 are English) who dropped out of his band, lost his girlfriend and thought maybe he'd get a gig in London. Instead, he delivers pizza, something he's deeply ashamed of.

They don't jump that night, form a club of sorts, and set out trying to discover reasons why they should or shouldn't commit suicide in the future. The novel is sad, insightful and tinged with sardonic humor. My library has more of Hornby's books and I intend to read them while I'm waiting for James McBride's new novel.

I want my grave marker to read: SHE  READ A LOT OF BOOKS.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm I just listened to the Nick Hornby "desert island disks" interview on BBC podcasts..
thought I might read one of his books - which do you recommend?
Emma

PJ said...

I've only read this one so far but my library has a number of his books.