Monday, December 23, 2013

Artificial Light

Natural light is scarce these days in the Catskill Mountains. The Solstice occurred two days ago so it's not unexpected. Add to the short daylight hours, it's been dark and dreary, with every kind of precipitation there is including fog. Fitting that I should read James Greer's Artificial Light during this season.

At least two of my kids have read this book (which is why I stumbled upon it) I think because it's about the rock band life, and makes references to Kurt Cobain of the group "Nirvana." It's a dark and dreary story that's awash in drugs and alcohol. James Greer used to be in a rock band, so he intimately knows the territory.

Artificial Light is an intense read, containing many words I've never heard, which is always a big plus for me. It was also tiresome at times. I love Rock 'n Roll, and I enjoy Punk and even own a "Nirvana" CD. I think I'm just too old to care about the drama in this novel.  

No comments: