Thursday, May 3, 2012

Toast to Rhode Island


 Johnny Cakes, Dictionary, Scrabble


There was a little diner in East Greenwich, Rhode Island called Jiggers. It's out-of-business now, not because it wasn't good, but because of back taxes and bankruptcy. I always ordered fried eggs with sausage and Johnny Cakes. Johnny Cakes are a Rhode Island specialty, borrowed from the Native Americans, I'm guessing. It's just cornmeal, sugar, salt and water, fried up like pancakes. Like pancakes, you can eat them with butter and maple syrup.

I made Johnny Cakes for breakfast today. Here's to native Rhode Island food and my friends who joined me at Jiggers..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Patty, It's a voice from the past - Marie R - trying to track you down and found your blog - very interesting - are you in RI or NYC? Jill & I are going to NYC next week. If you are there, can we see you folks?

PJ said...

Marie, I'm so glad you found me! I live in Manhattan, so yes, you can come and even stay at my apartment if the 2nd bedroom is available. It usually is but my sister-in-law may be coming. We also have a house in the Catskills. Where are you?

Anonymous said...

Hi PJ, i post on Ronni Gordon's blog all of the time, i'm the one who calls her Runder-Woman, etc.
just checked your link after i posted about native new yorkers and visitors from RI, and saw your posting!

i long for RI -- went to grad school there in the 1980's -- if it weren't for responsibilities in nyc for an ailing father, i wld have stayed!

Enjoy the Ocean State for me! Ronni's friend pam, since seventh grade...
pam