Monday, May 14, 2012

Mothers' Day with My New Baby

 
Splendid in the Grass



Mariel was in Peru. Mark was in Princeton. Harry was in Poughkeepsie. It was the first Mothers' Day since 1988 that no children joined me on the ,barring severe family dysfunction, this mandatory holiday.

Was I depressed? Of course not. My newest baby joined me. We adopted Buck, a 2.5 year old Bouvier de Flandres last week, all 100 lbs. of him. He is sweet, lovable and attached to my hip. His flaws include eating shoes and constantly nudging me which makes me more unsteady than I already am. We weave down the street like drunken sailors, people commenting everywhere we go. What kind of dog is that? Can I pet him? What a beauty. Buck is very laid back and seems indifferent to all the attention. I admit, I enjoy the reflected glory..

It was a beautiful weekend in the country. Except for 6 loads of laundry, I didn't do a damn thing. I went to Yoga, had a massage and cooked delicious food. Margaritas brook-side were a special treat. Marty took a bike ride and did various chores like put down grass seed and take out the patio furniture. Buck enjoyed the long walks and the sensation of cool grass on his belly. We stayed for an early Sunday dinner and drove to Manhattan with minor traffic. Wonder of all wonders: we got a parking spot on the correct side for Monday. That means I'm writing this blog rather than sitting in my car waiting for the street sweeper to come by.


1 comment:

Ronni Gordon said...

Hurray for lovable furry dogs and good parking spots!