Thursday, April 12, 2012

Pick Pocketed

I was going for a follow-up at the dentist when my purse was opened and relieved of my wallet. I'm not sure if it was outside the subway or on the train or platform. As soon as I arrived at the dentist, I received a text from my bank alerting me to possible fraud. I called them back and said that the wallet wasn't in my bag. I have 2 wallets. The one snatched had my Chase debit card, 2 Chase credit cards, my license, my health/dental insurance card and several other easily replaceable items. No photos, no money--that was in the other wallet.

During my lunch with Jeffrey (bless him), i cancelled all the affected accounts and thought about my license. I was driving up to the country in a little while, but more importantly, I was planning to rent a car in Florida on Monday when I go there with Frances. This was a pickle.

Jeffrey swung into action on his iphone and looked up the address for the DMV in Sullivan County. It was in Monticello, 25 minutes away. We returned to my apartment where Jeffrey, with Marty's guidance, opened the safe so I could take out my passport and social security card. Then he helped me pack the car and I was on my way.

I listened to a book on CD by Haruki Murukami, one of my favorite writers. The time passed quickly and I was at my house before 5:30, 2 hours and 20 minutes including stopping for gas.

If you've ever experienced the DMV in NYC, you know that it's mind-numbing, humiliating, and you stand/sit for a long long time. They've worked to streamline it over the years but the same people work there and they've been trained not to smile. I walked into the Sullivan County DMV, was handed a form and a number, and before I could complete the form, my number was called. The woman said to take my time and finish it right there, not like at the Post Office or other government agencies, where you're asked to step aside and the next person on line is mailing 25 packages to Indonesia.. Within 5 minutes I had my temporary license ($17), and left to go home. Everyone seemed to be smiling.

Today has been a quiet day, spent reading, shopping for groceries, and going to the Post Office. I took a few things to the local consignment shop and collected $22.19 for items sold. That covers my license and some gas.

I love country life.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Oh brother - it makes me so angry that someone did that to you. I hope that picket pocket person appreciates that wallet.....it was a great wallet. Thank heavens for Jeffersonville and for your friend!