Sunday, April 22, 2012

Easy Rider

From our record collection

We finally saw Easy Rider, after getting Five Easy Pieces 3 or 4 times. I guess it was the Jack Nicholson connection, Jack as a very young man.

I saw Easy Rider in the movie theater when it first came out. The shock and outrage I felt then I still feel today. I don't remember the drugs as much as I remember the extreme prejudice and violence against anyone perceived as different, especially if they had long hair. You can say long hair on men is accepted today but you would be wrong. There are places in this country where it will never be accepted as normal. I don't think anyone will be murdered for having long hair, but if you happen to be gay, watch your back south of the Mason-Dixon line. While I was visiting Florida, I noted the hatred in some voices directed at Arabs, Latinos and Blacks. How about the young man cut down in Sanford, FL by an overzealous white guy thinking the kid was a risk?

"All they wanted was to be free."

No comments: