Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Kvetch

Greetings from Boca Raton, Florida, where the elderly come to complain about their lives, most of which aren't so bad.

My mother-in-law doesn't complain, much. When you get to be her age, you have a right to speak your mind and tell people what to do. I rented a car, and she's been directing me around, which is good, except when she tells me to get off the highway and I know it's wrong. I just tool along and we make it to our destination just fine.

The weather has been great, 80 degrees and breezy. I've been doing a lot of reading, and we've gone on a few shopping forays. Many of the people who live here are extremely prejudiced. Anyone who's not white (and Jewish) is suspect. They hate Obama; they fear black people moving into the complex. My mother-in-law, who used to be a bit prejudiced, is now a beacon of light and understanding in the darkness. She tries to see the best in people and has learned not to judge, as she and her family were so horrifically judged during the Holocaust.

Not to complain but, people here eat all their meals between 8 am and 4 pm. Dinner at 4 pm is a bit too early for me, so we've been stretching it out to 5. I return to NYC tomorrow in the late afternoon. This weekend we're going to the country and traveling to Troy, NY on Saturday to watch Harry run.

I'm relaxed and ready to get my blood pressure up.

No comments: