Friday, March 30, 2012

Tim Curry Reads to Me

This week, I drove to Boston, a 4-hour trip. I stopped along the way to see and stay with my friend Sue in East Greenwich where I used to live. Marty had suggested I get a book on CD to listen to on the way. I chose Portobello by Ruth Rendell, read by Tim Curry.

Aside from some technical difficulties, such as repeating chapters and a scratched CD I had to skip half way through, it was a wonderful way to pass the trip. If I were reading the book to you, you'd fall asleep. But Tim Curry is a master, and he thoroughly held my attention. I've read some of Rendell's suspense novels and enjoyed them. She's a very witty writer. She uses Britishisms liberally, which are easy to figure out in context. Portobello is more of a psychological study of characters who range from petty thieves, fervent missionaries, murderers, a schizophrenic and a gentleman addicted to a sugarless candy. The book is rounded out by a handful of normal people living normal lives, except for their connections to the quirky ones.

I don't think I would've enjoyed reading this book as much as I did listening to it. We have a long trip coming up and I think I'll find a book on CD that Marty and I would both enjoy.

1 comment:

Lori Fleetwood-Jempty said...

Patty, If you have an MP3 player, Audible.com has 29 books read or performed in part by Tim Curry. Including the book you mentioned. I'm an audible member and am very happy with them.