Friday, March 9, 2012

Thursday Night in the Village

My brother Charlie got tickets to see Theresa Andersson at Joe's Pub lasr night. The four of us--Charlie, Marty, Victor and I had great seats near the stage. The crowd was mixed, from middle-agers like us to much younger folk. Just want to remind my son Mark that we don't stay home every night and go to bed at 9 pm.

The concert was incredible. The woman plays numerous instruments, which she records and then plays back as she moves onto something else. Eventually, she's singing with the accompaniment of drums, violin, tambourine, guitar and back-up singers. Her energy was incredible. A NOLA native, she introduced Alain Toussaint, mentor and famous on his own. The audience was invited to sing a few bars, which Anderssen recorded, and played back in her next song, but we sounded pretty awful.

We subwayed home and went for ice cream. I'm looking forward to a New York City weekend.

1 comment:

Ostensibly Offbeat said...

A great night out! I don't know if you'll be in town this weekend. I sent this to Marty on Facebook if you guys are interested, let me know. Wish Mariel a Happy Birthday.

http://www.brooklynbowl.com/event/91309/