Friday, September 24, 2010

Stop Making Sense

Harry will be 18 next week so I thought I'd get him an American Express Gift Card. I walked over to the Amex office. They'd sell me one for cash and a processing fee. Thanks. I went to Borders, thinking I'd buy Harry a card and send him a (free) check.

I saw the new Jonathan Franzen book Freedom and couldn't resist. The card and the book cost $20.57 which seemed like a steal. I do have a Borders Rewards card.

The book's protagonist is named Patty, so I'm slightly appalled. Of course she's around my age, hence the name. The book flap refers to her as a member of the Whole Foods generation. Did I ever tell you what I think about Whole Foods? That they're fascists? I don't want to give them any more press, so I'll stop here.

Poor Patty has some kind of meltdown. We can rely on dark comedy here, if the book is anything like The Corrections.

Franzen is a graduate of Swarthmore College, a Swattie like my daughter.

I will seriously review the work after I slog through its 562 pages.

No comments: