Thursday, September 23, 2010

Book Notes

These won't be reviews of the sort I like to write, more of a laundry list of what I've read recently. It's too early to think deeply.

Await Your Reply, Dan Chaon. Why do I read such depressing novels? Jaw-dropping resolution.

Once a Runner, John L. Parker. Get inside a runner's head; it's foreign territory.

Sag Harbor, Colson Whitehead, beach book for black folks. Great author; this was fluff.

Olive Kitteredge, Elizabeth Strout, profoundly bleak and Maine-like.

A Meaningful Life, L. J. Davis. Buying a brownstone in Bed-Stuy and losing your soul. Read it and weep.

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, David Wroblewski. The heart of a dog. I cried.

The Help, Kathryn Stockett. Toilet segregation in the South. No really, it's a good read.

I'm currently reading Spooner by Peter Dexter, which is funny so far, a welcome respite from the dark.

Speaking of dark, there's still 15 more minutes to sunrise.

Time for coffee and a good book.

No comments: