Sunday, August 4, 2013

Summer Reading

I admit to having an addiction to "Law & Order." It started back when I was forced to spend endless days trapped in my hospital room unable to read, write, cook dinner. Marty has watched this show forever,  and old episodes play several times a day. From "Law & Order," it was an easy jump to "Criminal Minds." The psychological profiling of serial killers interests me. The characters make the show, from the wacky Garcia to the genius Reid, to the smoldering Malcom.

My friend gave me a paperback months ago, Vicious by Kevin O'Brien. My friend is the publisher. It's small and easily fits into a handbag, a big plus when you're lugging lot's of other junk.

First I'll say that the writing was fine. Nothing great, but no purple prose. It's the kind of book you take on vacation to read in the plane, the airport, poolside. There's action and mystery aplenty, and a wealth of dead bodies, most young and attractive. Most of the characters do a lot of crying, but their travails seem unreal. There's zilch character development hence no motive to give a damn what happens to them.

Four-year-and-a-half year old Mattie is the kind of kid you love to hate. He misbehaves constantly, cries and otherwise makes constant demands on his mother. I won't say what I'm thinking because you'll think I'm a terrible person.

My next post will feature fire trucks.

1 comment:

George Jempty said...

Grisham's "The Litigators" was good airplane fare (when I flew back from seeing you back in April). Strangely I've never read any of his ones that have been made into movies. The only other Grisham novel I've read was "Playing for Pizza", again during air travel, I think one day about 4 years ago when I flew round trip from ATL to Baltimore all in one day for a job interview. It wasn't as good as "The Litigators" though