Monday, March 21, 2011

Snow Different

For the first time since December, there's no snow in Jeffersonville. The brook is flowing freely and there is no mud. There would be mud, but it's still too cold for that. It was 20 degrees Saturday night.

We began the weekend on the Upper West Side where we met Mark for dinner. The food was excellent. I had pappardelle noodles with wild mushrooms and black truffles, washed down with a fruity Riesling. Mark had lamb chops from lamb raised on the owner's farm. Marty had a trendy and delicious thin-crust pizza. Then, it was off to the country.

As soon as the house warmed up, I went to bed. I slept until 7:30! I did the usual morning rituals and headed out to yoga at 10. It was a great class. I walked home and got Marty for a trip to the market. While inside Pecks', my cell phone rang. It was the masseuse someone had recommended. The call was dropped so I went outside and she called me back. We made an appointment for next weekend. Do you know where I'm located? Look past the fire department and look for a woman waving. I waved back. I love this town!

I took a nap while Marty read. Then it was time for tea and babka, followed by cocktails and hors d'doeuvres, followed by grilled rib steak, baked potatoes and asparagus with home made hollandaise sauce. I didn't have lemon so I used grapefruit juice. Here's the recipe:

3 egg yolks
1/4 cup butter
juice of one lemon or other citrus fruit

Melt butter
Put yolks in blender and mix for a minute
Add the butter in a steady stream
Add the lemon and mix well
Salt and pepper to taste

After dinner, we watched the Graduate, a cult film at Swarthmore, and as Harry says, dark. We went outside to see the full moon, which as the whole world knew was the closest to earth in 19 years.

Sunday was filled with reading, writing, eating and doing laundry, which we neatly folded and inexplicably left behind. Fortunately, we're going up again next weekend.

No comments: