Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Oysters, Scallops, Octopus, Lobster, Black Bass, Monkfish

That's what we feasted on last night at Le Bernadin. Known for its inventive fish preparations, fine service, and exquisite prices, the restaurant holds a special significance for us. It was the site of our 3rd anniversary dinner many moons ago.

We had a reservation last summer on our anniversary but it was canceled due to a power outage at the restaurant. We went somewhere else instead. A recent confluence of celebratory events worth spending a little cash for encouraged me to make a reservation at Le Bernadin. If I wanted to dine there before my next anniversary, however, I'd have to wait months for a weekend spot. I took a Monday evening instead, only 3 weeks in advance.

When we arrived, the Maitre 'D welcomed us and referred to our canceled reservation. When we sat down, we were offered reparatory glasses of champagne. After taking a course on how to order from the prix fixe menus, we requested our signature cocktails, which were made perfectly according to our elaborate instructions. The waiter brought over the bread basket which offered a choice of 6 different items. I just wanted something to put the butter on. I just wanted to eat the butter, likely produced by the happiest cow in the French countryside. The first course was raw. Marty had oysters with 6 levels of spice and I had sea scallops in a tangy emulsion of I forget. The barely cooked second course was fried octopus for Marty in a sauce so complex you need several high degrees to understand it. I had plain old lobster medallions with hearts of palm and a citrus sauce. Marty chose the crispy black bass for his main course. I had the monkfish. At this point we were so blissful, we could have been served a can of Fancy Feast and been delighted. I almost forgot: Marty had a glass of red with his dinner and I had white, I believe a chardonnay.

Dessert was small and rich. Marty had the coffee construction carefully built from 4 or 5 coffee-flavored components. It was a work of art that tasted good, too. I had the chocolate peanut tart with a tiny scoop of lemony ice cream. The waiter brought us a lemon tart with "Happy Anniversary" written in chocolate, a nice touch.

We walked out into the chilly Manhattan night and took the subway home. Who could afford a taxi after that dinner? Plenty of people but not us.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I can say only 2 things:
1) HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
2)DROOL...