Thursday, February 10, 2011

Men and Steak

What did Jamie Lee Curtis say to the waiter at Delmonico's Steakhouse? I'll take the Activia on the side.

Last night, we took our son Mark to this venerable restaurant for his birthday. He had requested a steak dinner, so we thought why not go to a top-notch locale that specializes in serving up rare chunks of meat? It did not disappoint.

Conveniently located near our apartment in the Bull and Bear District, Delmonico's is a bastion of old-world men's clubbiness replete with dark woods, low lighting and murals depicting the restaurant's storied past. I wondered where the cigar room was. Could it be over there in the "Board Room?" Among other things, Delmonico's is famous for the Delmonico cut of steak, Baked Alaska and Eggs Benedict. Only the strong survive this kind of feeding frenzy.

We all chose the 20 oz. Delmonico steak. It appeared on a plate with three fingerling potato slices and a half dozen carrots and haricots vert. Charred on the outside, rubbed with salt and something or other, this aged dowager (food is female) was cooked as we had requested (and as you get it anyhow), medium rare. Tender does not begin to describe the texture of the juicy slab that sits on your plate, daring you to eat the whole thing. The men at my table did just that. I ate about half and brought the rest home from which I will enjoy two more meals.

The Baked Alaska wasn't what I was expecting. I'd had it once before on a cruise to Alaska where they served it flambé and didn't drizzle banana sauce around the concoction. The Delmonico's version was too sweet and topped with a frightening glob of meringue.

I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants a true New York experience, has money to flambé and a doctor's note. Due to my prudence, I suffered no postprandial indigestion. I took a double dose of cholesterol medication and fell asleep resolving to make Eggs Benedict in the morning.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Lost it at "doctor's note!" I sure am hungry now.