Monday, February 28, 2011

I Love Food

You know I love coffee, but do you know how much I love food? I'm obssessive about it actually, often planning what I'll eat for the day or the week. I'm not a foodie. I will eat a street hot dog. Give me those preservatives anyday.

This was a stellar weekend for food. It started on Friday evening with leftover beef braised in beer served over noodles. This was a recipe I got from a cookbook by Lidia Bastianich who owns a number of restaurants here in New York. My friend Doug loves her and says anything braised in anything is always delicious.

Saturday morning it was the classic heart clogger, bacon, eggs and buttered toast. The toast was whole grain. For lunch, I met Marty near the Armory where Mark was running and we had gyros in a small diner. The best gyros are had at Gyro II on 7th Avenue near 34th Street. Their sauce is the yummiest. We have a good gyro place two blocks away from our apartment, and also one in Jeffersonville, which I think is my second favorite because the pita's so good. Burp.

We stopped in Chinatown on the way home to buy shrimp. We got off the subway on the west end of the district and wended our way to the food area. Did you know you can buy anything and everything in Chinatown, legal and otherwise? We bought a ppund of shrimp for $4.80 and I turned it into a lovely p0asta dish with a pink sauce over linguine. We should have bought the larger shrimp, though as these cooked too fast and weren't as tender as we like them.

H & H bagels served as our breakfast on Sunday morning. We headed back up to the Armory to watch more racing. This is where my food cart ran off the rails. I had a bag of Cheetos and then a strawberry smoothie to banish the the chemical taste. When I returned to my apartment, I ate a slice of chocolate cake (store bought but good) washed down with a glass of milk. Marty had already left for Florida to visit his mom so I ate alone, a crisp quesidilla filled with refried beans, corn, tomato and cheddar cheese. Plenty of hot sauce, too.

How do I eat like this and stay thin? Metabolism, exercise and an obsessive tendency to weigh myself every day. If I go up a pound or two, I simply eat a little less. Go ahead, hate me.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I love that you noted whole-grain toast along with the eggs and bacon. Even with 5-7 hours of treadmill work every week, I can't shift my steroid weight. I've even replaced my regular lunch with a high-protein shake. Maybe I need to go back to weighing myself every day.