Friday, January 14, 2011

Tea Biscuits

Yesterday, I schlepped up to 26 Federal Plaza to the Social Security office. It was cold and windy, and the line of people waiting to get into the building was long and slow-moving. The man behind me kept getting closer and closer, practically breathing down my neck. He was speaking in what sounded like Polish to his companion. He was also coughing a lot.

Once inside, and after going through the equivalent of airport security, I found the appropriate office and waited to see an agent. I had already spent hours working on my application online, and gathering together the documentation I would need to prove my disability. I think I have a decent shot at it. Whatever I get will be better than what I presently earn, which is nothing.

I picked up groceries on the way home. I finally found the tea biscuits I like, and I was charged only 99 cents for them when they should have been $3.99. I had a few with tea later in the afternoon. So satisfying.

Harry arrived looking slugglish and worn from his two weeks in Rhode Island. He enjoyed seeing his friends, but came to realize that suburbia is not chicken soup for the teenage soul. Italian Wedding Soup, however, is, which is what I made for dinner.

We'll be driving up to our country house tonight. Harry goes back to college Sunday, so we'll drive him to Poughkeepsie, clean laundry in tow. Marty will take the bus back to the city Sunday night and I'll spend a few days staring out at the snow, reading, writing and otherwise amusing myself. If only we could sell that other house in the woods.

I finished Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. It's not worth reading, although a friend tells me The Time Traveler's Wife is better. I'm starting to get into the Keith Richards book, now that he's finally writing about music and playing with Mick. Harry gave me a birthday present book, Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson. I like his world view and he always makes me laugh.

2 comments:

Ronni Gordon said...

"The Time Travelers Wife" is good but kind of confusing. Enjoy your reading time.

Ann said...

Go ahead and take a pass on the Time Traveler's Wife. It was torturous for me.