Monday, January 31, 2011

City Snow Versus Country Snow

It seems obvious that the country snow is going to win this one. City snow creates mayhem, toxic slush and few smiles excpet for the folks who've escaped the loony bin and think they're Admiral Perry. Tell a New Yorker there's more snow in the forecast and he'll kill you.

Country snow is more civilized. It's 95% virginal and when they plow the streets, there's room to put the stuff. We spent the weekend at our Jeffersonville hideaway, and it was beautiful and relaxing. We began with Irish coffee upon our arrival. I wasn't getting into bed until the house warmed up. Saturday morning, after an early and light breakfast, I went to yoga. I hadn't been in ages and it was good to see that I wasn't as stiff as I thought I'd be. After a grilled lunch, we took off for Callicoon to do a little shopping. Callicoon I'm told is home to Mark Rufalo and his family. I confess that I don't know who this is. I don't think we saw him in Peck's market.

I spent the afternoon napping and reading. At sunset, we watched the snow fall into our brook and sipped cocktails. Dinner consisted of flounder, scallopped potatoes and broccoli. The flounder may have been wild, but we weren't wild about the taste. That's what you get for buying country fish. We attempted to watch a movie, Invictus, but I missed most of it due to snoozing under a blanket. It wasn't until the end that I realized it was about rugby and not soccer.

Our neighbor came over for brunch and we had bagels, lox and cream cheese. What did you expect, biscuits, gravy and sausage? After he left, I took a nap. Napping is my new hobby. I get less done, but I'm growing younger by the minute. I read some more and then started to work on dinner: grilled chicken, rice and creamed spinach. Yum.

Who wanted to leave? We wished we could stay all week. But no, we had to return to our city life where the snow is black and the parking spaces few. Marty found one next to a drift that will be good for at least a week. In theory, we're going to New Jersey Wednesday for dinner but it's supposed to snow again. Keep this mum or someone will slit your throat.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Green Acres post of the year!