Thursday, October 14, 2010

Spooner, a Brief Review

This book by Peter Dexter is hysterically funny if you like droll humor. Too much drollity, however, can be, well, too much. The first 100 pages of Spooner was amusing; then it got tedious. Dexter also wrote Paris Trout, which I'm not sure I've read. The men in Spooner are smart, accident-prone and don't know what to do with women who are lovely but weak. If you are a man, perhaps you will enjoy Spooner more than I did.

Now I'm reading Freedom (finally) by Jonathan Franzen, also droll but not annoyingly so. It's funny how thin the line can be. More on this book when I finish it.

I left the woods and am now back on West Street, trading the Babbling Brook for the Mighty Hudson. Peace and serenity have given way to manic schedules: doctor appointments, haircut, job hunting and endless filing and phone calls. I will get this new life organized. Tonight I'm having dinner with my tall running son (his Indian name). Tomorrow, it's dinner in Brooklyn for which I'm making bread pudding with rum sauce. Then it's a New York weekend, complete with museum (MOMA), possible cafes and shopping.

Will update soon.

No comments: