Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Back in the Woods

Greetings from Jeffersonville, where I've been off the grid since Friday. I saw Harry race Friday in Bethlehem, PA and then drove here with Turbo in tow. We had a lot of detours due to road closures from the heavy rain. In fact, my brook is raging.

I'm writing this from the library. It's been raining for two days and today I finally turned on the heat, once I got oil in the tank. It's a good thing I'm self-sufficent. My big afternoon activity is to figure out how to install an over-the-door ironing board. Dramatic ironing is in my future, as is much unpacking.

My college roommate Susan was here over the weekend as was Marty. This was when the weather was warm and beautiful. They left on Sunday, and things turned ominous. A cold rain all day yesterday, when I went to the Post Office and Yoga. Yoga was great--I had a private class. There are only 400 people in Jville. My neighbor John came over at 5:30 for a gin and tonic. Then it was dinner and bed.

Today I walked to the bank, paid my water bill at the town offices and came to the library to check email, etc. In a little while I'll go home and get the car, drive up a big hill and use my cell phone to call people. I plan to stay home the rest of the day and unpack some books, read, think and stare at the rising brook. I may lose power, but fear not, I am prepared with flashlights, batteries, a landline and gas stove.

Worst case scenario.

2 comments:

George Jempty said...

You really are off the grid. I've tried both your land lines and your cell number to no avail. You probably want to watch the Yankees first playoff game anyway.

PJ said...

I can't even watch the Yankees. I'll be back in the city on Columbus Day.