Thursday, August 12, 2010

Driving to Barcelona

Van Gogh, Anyone?
Sagrada Familia

Old Town


Toes in the Mediterranean

The train wasn't available and the plane cost too much, so I rented a car and drove to Barcelona. Sounds easy, right? The drive was easy and fun, until I tried to locate my hotel, which was tucked off the main road and you couldn't get there from anywhere. I finally had to have the concierge talk me through it. I was never happier to dump a car in a spot and head into a luxurious hotel.

My room was on the 11th floor. The bathroom was the best feature. The toilet closet had a bidet. There was a huge tub and a separate shower--always appreciated. After freshening up, I went walking in the area, only to discover I was starved. But it was way to early to dine in Barcelona, so I went to an outdoor cafe and ordered tapas and a caipirinha. Then I walked some more, window-shopped and found a cute little place where I had a delicious pizza margarita. I would've preferred a Spanish restaurant, but I was beat from the driving, and the next day would be filled with touring.

The next morning I jogged and stopped at a cafe for an espresso and a croissant. After showering, I hailed a taxi and went to Las Ramblas and the Old Quarter. I won't bore you with my purchases. I had lunch at a small restaurant where paella was the specialty, although not very good. The highlight of the day was walking to the Mediterranean sea and sticking my toe in. Then I sat at a seaside cafe and had a sangria.

I dined al fresco at a nice restaurant with excellent food. I wrote a little note to the chef, who came out to see me to see to receive his accolades in person.

The drive back to France would have been a breeze except I put the wrong gas in the car and had to be towed to a garage somewhere on the border of France and Italy. It's a good thing I speak Spanish, a thing thing my French is so rusty. I took a cab to the airport and rented another car and drove to Toulouse where Peter picked me up. Mecca waited back at the chateau with dinner and champagne. I needed both.
Sunflowers fill the fields around the Ross Compound. It's easy to see where Vincent got his inspiration. I was inspired while in France to buy a bikini. When in France ... I'm not posting a photo here because I want to get a job in the near future. I don't know if it would hurt or hinder my chances.

No comments: