Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Your Holiday Obama Calendar

As a campaign donor, I still receive the mass emails that flow freely from the Obama for America website. I just got one hawking four-year holiday calendars, the proceeds of which go to the Democratic National Committee.

Excuse me while I cringe.

I'm assuming Obama keeps his clothes on in the photos gracing this latest cash cow. There's a price to pay for historical firsts: $49.95 for a front page reprint of the post-election The New York Times; $124.95 if framed. It seems everyone wants to sell a piece of history.

Obamabilia takes many forms: crockery, coins, photos, t-shirts, action toys, and my favorite, a bobblehead for your car's rear dash collection. The DNC may be behind the merchandising curve, but their mailing list is more targeted than a heat-seeking missile. I'm sure they'll sell a lot of calendars.

I'll get over it.

1 comment:

Ronni Gordon said...

Good thing I already have my own NY Times front page and the Boston Globe too! Maybe I can get rich off of them someday (ha ha). They are still piled on my kitchen chair. I guess I should take good care of them. Yes the rest is getting a little out of control.