Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Readers Recommend ...

Since my post about book disappointments, reader recommendations have been appearing in my email box. For those of you looking for a good read, I thought I'd list some of the books here.

My niece Rebecca suggests a short story collection by Elizabeth McCracken, Here's Your Hat What's Your Hurry. Niagara Falls All Over Again, by the same author, is a novel she hasn't read but heard is "terrific." Allegedly, the book pokes fun at Iowa, which is where Rebecca has lived for the past year or so.

My friend Emma, also a fan of Zadie Smith's White Teeth, says Small Island by Andrea Levy explores a similar theme. Here are some of Emma's other recommendations:
Harbour by Lorraine Adams
Blindness by Jose Saramago (which I read in a book group way back when)
The Book Thief by Markus Zusack (on my bookshelf)
The Sisters by Mary Lovell
Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky (which I read and enjoyed)

My college roommate Judy liked The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, which I've meant to read but just haven't gotten my hands on it yet.

I wrote down the name of a book recommended by my friend Patty last week, but can't seem to locate it. However, another book she suggested a while back is When the Ground Turns in Its Sleep by Sylvia Sellers-Garcia.

Happy reading!

No comments: