Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Book Worm Turns

Because I love to read, many people ask me to recommend books for them. Usually I have one or two up my sleeve that I’m excited about and would like to share with others. Lately though I seem to be in a literary doldrums. I pick up books, put them down, pick them up again and muddle through. I’m currently reading The City of Fallen Angels by John Berendt. At two or three pages a night, it’s been a slow go.

Maybe I need to join a book group. I haven’t been in one for years. My favorite book group goes back to my Costa Rica days. We always seemed to read something compelling, or at least worth discussing for 30 minutes until we veered off into children, school issues, husbands. The wife of the U.S. ambassador was in our group, and it was always a treat when she was hosting due to the posh surroundings, serious furnishings and wine delivered on silver trays.

One of the first things I did when I returned to the States was join a book group. It did not go well. There’s an article about book groups gone sour in The Sunday New York Times called “Fought Over Any Good Books Lately?" Since I’ve been in four groups in my six years in Rhode Island, I fancy myself a bit of an expert on this subject. I’m kind of surprised they didn’t call and ask for a pithy quote.

My local New Neighbors Club sponsored two book groups. I decided to try the morning group because I’m a morning person, my eyes glazing over after 8 pm. I happily read Zadie Smith’s White Teeth for my first meeting. When I arrived at the gathering I was shocked to see so many cars. I was used to book groups with ten or twelve people in them. Some 30 women had showed up to discuss White Teeth. I was a bit intimidated.

What I soon realized though was that most of the women had come for breakfast and to socialize. This became even more apparent when we sat down to talk about the book. We arranged ourselves in a giant circle, and one by one, people shared their thoughts about White Teeth. I thought this would take forever, but I was wrong. Most people hadn’t finished the book or even read it at all, and so had very little to say. The few comments offered were for the most part negative.

I’d loved the book and felt at once disappointed by the lack of enthusiasm and unsure about what I should talk about when at long last it was my turn. I didn’t want to cast myself as some sort of literary snob (which I am), not at my first meeting anyway. I ended up admitting I’d really liked the book and gave a few reasons why. I tried not to be too insightful, so as not to alienate members of my new social group.

Things went from bad to worse. The following month we gathered to discuss The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk. I had thought the book was cloying, preachy and not worth my time. As we went around the circle, however, it quickly became clear that I was in the minority once again. I’ve made sure not to see the recent movie made from the book, although it’s probably a better movie than book.

I quit this group and drifted in an out of others. I began to think it was me, but I reminded myself that I’d left the Costa Rica book group only because I’d left the country. Interestingly, some of the members of that group still ask me what I’m reading and give me their recommendations. I guess the most important thing about a book group is that the members have similar reading tastes and actually want to discuss the book at hand instead of the new Trader Joe’s that's opened.

I'm looking for a few good readers.

1 comment:

Ronni Gordon said...

I read that story too. My book group is always teetering on the edge. It takes forever to get together, and even then many people haven't read or finished the book. Also although I love the chatting part, it's hard to get the discussion going sometimes. Still, I'd hate for it to fall apart. I like the women, and I like reading books that I might not normally read, and when we finally get down to having a discussion, it's usually pretty good.