Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Why

In my first post, I described the where of this blog. Now I’ll tell you its raison d’être.

Apparently, I’m descended from a long line of people who like to have their say, in other words, blatherers. We don’t even require that others listen to us; we just need to express our views on everything imaginable, often failing to recognize the universal sign of listener boredom, glazed-over eyes. We will be heard! Fortunately, there is a place we can now lob our bon mots, bitter diatribes and infinity of unasked-for opinions: the Blogosphere. It’s a lot like the atmosphere only better because people sometimes legitimize our words by commenting on them.

My family is well-represented in the blogging world. A quick google turns up 9000 entries, although almost all refer to my brothers. Armchair analysis suggests that our father’s tendency to squelch all discourse when we were growing up, especially opinions he did not share, caused words to leak out of us uncontrollably once we were free of his grip. Not that we’re completely free of him, but he can no longer make us shut up.

Stayed tuned for the what. Which reminds me: What is the What by Dave Eggers is a book I recommend if you’re looking for a serious read.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

PJ

Thank you for this blog. Not sure if I could get through the day without a bit of PJ wisdom and insight.

Jennifer