Thursday, September 11, 2008

Running for Time

In 10 days, I'm running a 5k in downtown Providence. I announced several weeks ago with much bravado that I planned to run it in under 30 minutes. Now I'm thinking this might not be possible.

I've been trying to ramp up my "training," over the past few weeks, running more miles and trying to do "speed" workouts. The problem is, I'm as slow as a turtle. Contrary to proverbial wisdom, slow and steady DOES NOT win the race. My sons always say that if you're running a race, you should feel awful. I accept that, but I can't break a 9-minute mile without feeling as though I were about to expire. How will I ever run 3.1 miles at my current "race" pace?

The last time I ran this event, in 2006, I ran with the Marine Corps at my heels. Literally. There I was, huffing, puffing, sweating and feeling deathish, pursued by 30 some-odd totally jacked men rhythmically chanting and waving Semper Fi flags. I credit the Marines with helping me run 30:32, and I thank them for not passing me. I was under the impression these brave souls would scoop me up and carry me to the finish line if I collapsed in the street. After all, I attended any number of Marine Corp Balls when I lived in Costa Rica. But I digress.

If the weather cooperates, I might have a chance. This morning it was cool and dry, and I ran 2.7 miles in 27 minutes. That's an unofficial time because I forgot to set my watch when I took off and only noticed it some 200 meters down the road. I wasn't trying especially hard, and I felt really good throughout the run, which means I certainly wasn't pushing myself. Tomorrow I'll do another speed workout.

If only I could find a few good men to chase me down the street.

4 comments:

Ronni Gordon said...

Hey PJ
I bet that no matter what your time is, you'll feel great that you were able to do it. And just think -- if you go slower than you want, you'll have a lower bar for next year!

Kunal B said...

"If only I could find a few .. men to chase me down the street." Are you thinking of someone like, oh I don't know, L22, perhaps?

Anonymous said...

I think running could become very big if all of us could find a few good men to chase us!

Best of luck with the run.

Jim said...

PJ,

I know you will run your best and your time will be what it is ... a damn good showing but a gutsy lady.