Thursday, February 6, 2014

Country Life, Hard and Beautiful

Finally, after many years of being practically snowless, we were hit with a storm that added a foot of snow on top of the 4-6 inches we already had. I went out yesterday to shovel a path for my dog and the UPS man who was supposed to be delivering a package. He never made it, but Buck and I managed a walk. Buck is a big dog, but even he has trouble standing in deep snow to do his business.

Today, I  tried to tackle getting my car out. I have no driveway, merely a pull-in parking spot in front of my garage, which can't fit a car in it and would have made the snow removal worse. The village does a great job plowing but there's no place for the snow to go except to the side of the road. I took one look at the 2-foot wall of ice imprisoning my car and wanted to cry. There I was, at the foot of a mountain I planned on moving with an ice pick and spoon.

My neighbor Jim who's always there, just like State Farm, has a nifty red pint-sized snow plow. He was just coming home, so I flagged him down and asked for help. He seemed so happy to move the snow around. He even drove my car out and dug a wide parking spot for my convenience when I returned.

The scenery right now is picture-postcard spectacular. If you don't look down in the roadway and see all the muck, that is.


No comments: