Friday, January 18, 2013

The Deerhunter

My dog must sleep lighter when my husband isn't here. Buck suddenly wakes up and starts softly woofing. He paces the bedroom, agitated, coming over to sniff me. Then he runs downstairs and starts barking. Since I'm not afraid of intruders, I try to ignore this behavior. It happened a couple of weeks ago and I stayed in bed. He eventually came back upstairs and went to sleep.

When Buck did this last night, I wasn't in a very deep sleep so I got up to see what all the commotion was. I looked out the door to see deer prancing about. Apparently they were having a party at my expense. I thought about letting Buck out to scare the crap out of them, which they probably already sprinkled all over my property, but I didn't want to run around outside chasing Buck down the street wearing only my pajamas. I went back to bed, as did Buck and slept fitfully.

When I went out this morning, the lawn was littered with bottles and cans. Buck enjoyed the dark matter the deer had left behind.

No comments: