Monday, September 17, 2012

Simple Country Pleasures

We haven't been to Jeffersonville in almost two weeks. There's something addictive about this place. It's peaceful, pretty and smells fresh. Contrast that with jack-hammers from sunrise to sunset, little greenery and the constant stink of the the street, and you'd wonder if there were even a question as to why I prefer the country. Would I prefer it if I lived here full-time? I would miss New York City, but I can always visit and mooch off friends.

Yesterday was a big day here, filled with events for the young and the restless, the bold and the beautiful, the old and the crotchety, and lots of average folks. Jeffersonville is not a hole in the wall. It has a Brazilian restaurant, a book group, and one of the most diverse radio stations this side of the Hudson. If you want more culture, you don't have to go far. Bethel Woods is ten minutes away, and there are numerous galleries and art shows close by.

But I digress. Have you ever been to a tractor parade? Fifty or so tractors drove through town yesterday, the oldest from 1948 (the driver was older). The variety of vehicles and drivers was amazing. The weather was perfect. Vendors lined the way, most selling yellow rubber ducks that would later float down the Callicoon Creek. The top three ducks win cash prizes; the pokiest ducks gets gift certificates to local stores. The money raised goes to projects that enhance Jeffersonville. I missed all but the end of the race due to an urgent need for a massage.

The second oldest tractor in the parade and possibly the oldest driver

The local volunteer fire department hosted a pancake breakfast. Breakfasts, lunches and dinners are a staple here, although I've never been to any because when I'm in the country I like to cook.I have a huge kitchen, too big really, and not very well designed. Still, it beats my NYC pocket kitchen.

A crane just glided up the brook, packing his things for the winter in Mexico.

No comments: