Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Weekend With the In-Laws

Esther, Lenny, Frances, Doug, Me, Buck
 
Mariel and I drove up to Jeffersonville Friday morning. Actually, Mariel drove because I'm still recuperating from cataract surgery. My mother-in-law, Nana, and sister- and brother-in-law arrived late afternoon and I made eggplant Parmesan for dinner. Peel it; don't peel it. Thin-sliced, thick-sliced. Salt and rinse; leave it alone. Olive oil; vegetable oil. Fry; bake. As Frankie said, I did it my way. And it was delicious.
Mariel enjoying quiet time

On Saturday morning, Mariel and I walked to Yoga. Marty and family made a traditional bagels-lox-cream cheese-tomato slice-onion slice breakfast. I apologize if that punctuation looks funky. I should've used back slashes.There was also sable and whitefish salad. Saturday night we grilled lamb, steak and shrimp, served with fresh corn, insalata caprese and red wine. My friend Doug joined us and we had martinis.

Sunday morning was filled with more copious eating, mainly a dill, cream cheese and lox omelet. At this point, I just had a bowl of cereal and milk. Some of us went to the farmers' market in Callicoon where I bought lettuce, real tomatoes, Swiss chard and radishes. We went to visit Harry at his country club job and then all went out to dinner for a delicious Italian meal at Al Buona Fortuna.

Harry, Mariel Matt play Settlers of Catan


Harry and his friend Matt arrived at 2 am after they finished the evening shift. More BLCC for breakfast. Now the whole family was here except Mark so we had a big dinner involving leftover lamb and steak, bbq chicken, grilled salmon al pesto, baked potatoes with sour cream and fresh chives from my paltry garden, tomato salad and green salad. There was nothing special for dessert so I made banana and apples Foster with whipped cream.

Nana, Marty, Buck

Tuesday morning, the sound of Marty's cell phone ringing woke us. An idiot from work was calling Marty even though he's on vacation. Harry was leaving for college at 9 anyway so we had an earlyish breakfast with half the crew. By now, I don't need to tell you what was served, although I had something else. More breakfast, more goodbyes. Mega clean-up.

It's really quiet and peaceful now, We're sitting brook-side and working on our computers. I plan to get back to my book in a bit. In case you're wondering what we're having for dinner, it's something healthy and easy to make: grilled white pizza and green salad.
  

No comments: