Monday, August 6, 2012

Water Polo 24/7

I'd never heard of water polo until last week. I thought polo was played on horses. Water polo is much less dangerous and much less interesting, in my opinion.

Synchronized diving, synchronized swimming, swimming--the Summer Olympics is filled with wet sports or things in the water such as rowing, steeplechase and horse jumping. Let me know if I've left anything out.

I like some of theses sports, I really do. I hate to swim, but enjoy watching others engage in this strenuous activity. I watched Michael Phelps interviewed by Bob Costas, and truthfully, I'd rather watch him swim than compare himself to Michael Jordan.

Gymnastics is exciting; beach volleyball less so. I watch the Olympics for Track and Field. It's the sport I know the most about. I watched the men's 10,000 meters the other day and it was thrilling.  Question: why is it they show 6 minutes straight of water polo but only several minutes of  of distance running before cutting to a commercial? They even cut away with 3 laps to go, the most exciting part of the race. At least they showed the last 2 laps in which Mo Farah of Great Britain and Galen Rupp of the USA won gold and silver. I was literally jumping up and down. 

Sunday morning I got up early and watched the women's marathon. I have no problem with commercial breaks in a 2:20:00 race. It too had an exciting finish, gold and silver for the Ethiopians and bronze for the Russian. 

I didn't see any of the sprint semis or finals live. They happen outside of prime time. Okay, they show Usain Bolt win over and over, but that's because it's a sub 10 second race and everyone can pay attention for that long. I wanted to see the steeplechase because I know someone running in it who my son Mark has actually beaten in a high school race. Nope. No mention. It's really fun to watch though, with obstacles and water pits installed along the track.

The 5000 meter? It's another of my favorites, but either I've missed it or they'll be showing water polo. The mens's marathon is the final event and I know that it takes place next Sunday at 7 am. I'll be there. Unless they're interviewing the men's water polo team.  


No comments: