Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Flying the Flag


Our friends Karen & Jim gave us a Bouvier de Flandres flag almost 23 years ago on Marty's birthday. For most of that time, the flag was hung inside. When we moved to Rhode Island, we hung it on a tree lining our driveway. Did I ever tell you we had about 30 oak trees on our property? That meant squirrels, lots of hungry hungry squirrels.

We began noticing that the flag looked a little funny. Marty went up on a ladder and discovered the flag was slowly being eaten alive by Rocky J. Squirrel and his voracious family. We took it down and tried to order a new one, but the company had gone out of business. We folded it up and put it away. When I was packing up to move, I found the shredded flag in a box and packed it to go.

My friend Doug has a friend in the flag business. I sent her the flag bits and a scan of the artwork. I decided I wanted to update the flag with new colors, red and yellow, to match those of the Belgian flag.

It's beautiful, and turned our attention away from the pile of environmental disaster wrapped to go to a special dump for very bad things.

Seeming non-sequitor but not: I had a coffee disaster this morning. My very expensive Saeco machine brewed me a cup of water. I did some trouble shooting but could not fix it. Then I realized I had some ice coffee in the fridge and drank that. I wasn't as soothing as a hot cup o' Joe but it sufficed. You may be wondering why I didn't want to step out of my apartment where there are 4 or 5 coffee shops serving what I need. That would mean getting dressed. To make sure this never happens again, I went out and bought a Melitta holder and filters. I made myself a strong cup of coffee a little while ago,

You see, the flag makes me very happy, and so does coffee.

No comments: