Saturday, May 21, 2011

Euphoria Begins With a Good Night’s Sleep

After eight hours of shut-eye (one on the couch), I got up and followed my usual morning rituals of meds, coffee, checking my email and seeing if the world was going to end today. For the latter I turned to the Times. Stay tuned …

I wrote a dull post on my other blog, read more of the Henrietta Lacks book and then had reconstituted homemade banana bread and a cranberry muffin, finishing the coffee. Then I walked into town and got the mail, and went to Peck’s for a few things I needed for dinner tonight. Doug is joining me.

Yoga was next. I admit that I’m not a very good yogaist. I can’t disconnect my mind no matter how I breathe or which twisted agonizing position I force my body into. Today was different. Today I didn’t think about what I’d be eating for lunch and dinner, what I’d be doing next week or how I was going dig myself out from under a pile of debt. I was floating in the moment, my mind a blank. This lasted for one and a half hours. Nirvana was mine.

What a breakthrough. I wish I could repeat this at home when I’m trying to sleep and my mind is flitting about like a butterfly on steroids. I’m going to try for a little more euphoria when I have my hour massage later.

After that, I plan to sit back and enjoy the ideal weather and calming brook sipping an ice-cold martini and wondering if Doug will serve the dinner.

No comments: