Thursday, June 24, 2010

Buying, Selling. Or Trying.

Our Rhode Island house is still on the market. Only the mice seem to be nibbling. We've dropped the price three times. We've only had one offer, and that was a long time ago. On the bright side, my kids can live at home this summer instead of staying at friends' houses. This is a lot more comfortable and a lot less disruptive as they work/interview. It was not my plan for the summer. I enjoy having them around, but it means I have to shop, cook, clean and organize more than I'd hoped.

I'd planned to move to Manhattan and start that life, along with the one in Jeffersonville. Buying, like selling, has been illusive. Tomorrow was to be our closing date. We have the money lined up and a signed contract, but no closing in sight. The seller apparently hasn't sold all his furniture yet, furniture he somehow expected us to buy for $4000. One of the reasons we bought a house was to have a place to put our furniture. Of course, we mainly bought it as an antidote to Manhattan life, fresh air versus Times Square.

In the meantime, I go to yoga class, shop at Dave's and get ice cream at Hilltop. It's an easy life with no traffic and little stress. Tomorrow I'm driving to the apartment, Turbo in tow. He will have his debutante as a city dog this weekend. Saturday is our 27th anniversary, and we plan to have dinner at a restaurant we dined at on our second anniversary. We will do some New Yorky things like shop for petite furniture and perhaps go to a museum. Outdoor cafes will play a big role.

While I'm gone, there's an open house. Hopefully it will generate some interest. Owning two houses for any length of time is not something I had in mind when I set this plan in motion.

I'll take Manhattan.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Happy anniversary! Hope you and Marty have a fabulous weekend.