Tuesday, June 15, 2010

24 Hours in the Big Apple

I had a follow-up job interview yesterday in NYC so I drove back with Marty on Sunday. Harry came with us since he's not seen the new apartment and doesn't have much going on at the moment save for sleeping and hanging out with friends.

Eating was the main focus of our stay. We went out to an Italian restaurant near where we live and managed to have a relatively light meal. We went back to the apartment and watched the basketball playoffs. The next morning, after Marty left for work, we went to a nearby diner for breakfast. It's not likely I'll go back there because the coffee was sub-par, although the bacon was superb. After watching World Cup soccer, napping, shopping and my interview, we went for gyros at George's. Heavy and delicious is the best way to describe these gyro's. We'd planned to go to Gyro II across from Madison Square Garden for gyros but wanted to get out of Dodge before rush hour. One of these days, we'll have to have a taste-off. Oh, and Mark joined us for ice coffee and stayed at the apartment to have dinner with Marty.

Have I ever told you how much I hate the Connecticut Turnpike? I hate the Jersey Turnpike, too, but I'm trapped in Connecticut more often. Once we move out of Rhode Island, we'll be able to avoid this clogged roadway, unless we go to Block Island. We can always sail there from Long Island, so we may be able to avoid Connecticut forever.

Lack of traffic will be the thing I miss most about Rhode Island beside the handful of friends I've made here. I went out with Harry this morning to do errands and we breezed around like we were the last people on earth. The natives grouse about the traffic here but since they rarely leave the state, they have no idea what traffic is. I think Jeffersonville will be like Rhode Island, slow and sleepy.

No comments: