Sunday, January 18, 2009

Dramatic Ironing

It's not every day I iron shirts while watching the President-Elect of the United States make moving remarks from the National Mall. There were more than a few wet faces in the crowd as the smiling Obama spoke about the hope he has for the Nation. There's no use trying to blame the steam coming off the iron--I got misty myself.

I tried to explain to my 16-year-old why the moment was so poignant, mumbling something about the Civil Rights Era, memories of the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr., the difference a few decades can make.

I doubt he gets it, and that's a great thing.

1 comment:

Renee and Sam said...

We were there with the masses for the inaugural concert as well as for the ceremony! Although we were not anywhere close enough either time to see things up close, it was still a moving experience watching this historic occasion on the Jumbotron with hundreds of thousands of other people. The exhilaration was high and everyone had a smile on his or her face; for once everyone was patient (except I think the poor ticket holders who never got into the ceremony...who could blame them?). I will never forget it. Sam and I even had the privilege of seeing President Obama and his wife walk by in the parade thanks to a special invitation Sam received at the last minute to an inaugural luncheon. I am still thawing out... ;)