Thursday, January 15, 2009

Crazy Snowy Running

Yesterday, an early morning meeting kept me from running when I normally do which is around 7-7:30. Sure, I could have run in the afternoon, and I would have, but the mercury clawed at 20° and the wind carved the sun into tiny bits. No thanks.

Coulda woulda shoulda. This morning it was 11° and snow was falling. Disgusted by yesterday's wimpiness, I went for a run despite the weather. It was a tad slippery but conditions were otherwise fine. I rewarded myself with blueberry buckwheat pancakes for breakfast.

My boys were complaining this morning that school hadn't been cancelled, even though other schools are closed. They think I'm a mean momma for ridiculing the school districts that cancelled classes for the day. Let me point out we're expecting 3 to 5 inches of fluff, and it should warm up to 16°. When I was a kid ...

We've been threatened with 0° in the early morning hours of tomorrow. My husband and I will be driving to New York City to see our daughter run the 500 meter race for her college team at the Armory. We plan to visit friends overnight in Larchmont, and then drive to New Haven, CT on Saturday to watch our eldest son run the mile at the Yale Invitational. This is a big race for him, as he's trying to earn an invitation to the presitigious Millrose Mile at Madison Square Garden the end of the month. The field is stacked, so it should be a great race.

One more bit of parental bragging: he'll be attending Columbia University in the fall.

1 comment:

Ronni Gordon said...

I know how you feel about getting the run in. I run in all sorts of conditions, often eliciting disapproving looks from people I know who are driving by. Be careful: One time I was running down a hill and took a hard fall on my rear when I hit a patch of ice. Good luck to the kids!