Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Long, Winding, Icy and Hilly Road to My Door

When I left my house Thursday, it had only snowed an inch or so and had stopped. I was driving my trusty old minivan, Vanna, which doesn't have 4-wheel drive. Three hours later, snow was falling and the roads were icy and untreated. My first challenge was to turn left out of the parking lot and go up a steep hill. There was minor slip sliding away, but I made it. It was a white-knuckle ride, snow whirling, darkness falling. I could barely see. Breathe, I told myself. Relax those shoulders. Unclench your fists.

I was brave enough to pull into the local supermarket parking lot. The store was closing early--in 10 minutes--but I only needed a few things.

Arriving at my house unscathed was a relief. My daughter arrived 40 minutes later. She'd driven from Providence, RI, encountering snow in the last hour of her trip. She had the 4WD vehicle for safety. I look forward to not driving for a couple more days.

No comments: