Thursday, October 17, 2013

Birthday, Brook, Birds, Butterfly

Festive Drinks for Harry's 21st

The Man Makes Guacamole

Mom Makes Birthday Streudel

It was my youngest son's 21st birthday last week. We celebrated the event all weekend up in the woods. On Friday, we went to our favorite local bar/restaurant, The Cabin. Maybe because they know us so well, Harry wasn't asked for ID. He has such a baby face that I thought he'd be carded forever.


Saturday was a perfect day, as Lou Reed sings in his sentimental ballad that happens to be my ringtone. I went to yoga, came home to my husband grilling pizza for lunch and said good morning to Harry who likes to sleep in when he can. Where we live, except for a car now and then, only the birds and the brook are the sounds you hear.

We made our own pizzas and dined al fresco. It was a warmer than normal Fall day. As we ate, a monarch butterfly hovered above us. He must have been looking for his amigos to join the migration to Mexico. Adios, mariposa.

Although I was feeling better than usual, I was tired and decided to take a brief nap. My husband woke me up to say I'd slept for 3 hours and that I was needed in the kitchen to help with dinner. Harry requested margaritas, and was making guacamole. I'd already made my son's favorite dish the day before, curried lamb meatballs, and had to make some rice. It was a wonderful meal, that ended around 10 and left a sink full of  pots and and a counter full of glassware.

We had a very late breakfast on Sunday because we were taking Harry out for an early dinner before my husband had to catch the bus to New York City. We hate this weekly ritual, but a pied a terre isn't in the cards right now. Dinner was delicious, and once again, Harry wasn't asked to show ID. Go figure.

Harry left Monday afternoon, after sleeping until 1 pm. He ate some breakfast, packed some warmer clothes in case Fall ever arrives, and drove back to school. He drives Vanna, my 11-year old Mazda minivan that served us well in suburban RI and refuses to seize and fall apart.

As my my mother-in law says, "good things, good things."

No comments: