Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Hot Soup on a Hot Day

Mushrooms are on sale this week so I decided to make a batch of mushroom bisque. Fancy restaurants have switched to their Fall menus so why not me?


I bought the mushrooms on Monday, when the temperature dipped down to 36 degrees at night. On Tuesday, Summer made its return. I started making the bisque, because why would I waste mushrooms? I had already soaked the wild mushrooms so the soup was on.

Most of the South Americans I know drink hot liquids when it's caliente outside. They say it cools them down. It's counter-intuitive but apparently works. Americans treasure their ice, especially when it's hot, but try to get an ice-cold drink outside North America and you will be disappointed. I include myself in this ice versus fire dialectic,  although when I lived in Costa Rica I became used to room-temperature water. 

I'm ready for lunch but it's 88 with a heat index of 94. Maybe I'll make an icy fruit smoothie.

Not to worry, it's supposed to be 58 as the high on Friday.

No comments: