Wednesday, March 6, 2013

You Never Escape Your Past

Zadie Smith's newest novel, NW, describes the lives of former and current residents of Northwest London, a rather rough neighborhood that leaves its indelible mark on those who grow up there.

I'm a Zadie Smith fan. White Teeth is one of my favorite books, and I also enjoyed On Beauty. NW is more in your face. It's as though Smith is grabbing you by the neck and forcing you to observe ugly, uncomfortable and finally, sad moments because she wants you to know what it's like to come from a background that's nearly impossible to escape.

I wonder what Jamaican Londoners think of this book. Although it wasn't my favorite Zadie Smith book, I appreciated her frank portrayal of living in a place that brands you for life. It's a place that promotes aspiration, but comes back to bite you when you think you've achieved your goal.

I'm now reading Junot Diaz latest book of stories, This Is How You Lose Her.

1 comment:

Emma said...

Sounds like my reading list..although I just took a side trip to Jamaica Kincaid (after hearing her speak) and Salman Rushdie's bio..which I loved...