Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Great New York Day

Harry and I took the bus and train to see Mark for lunch. We ate at Tom's Restaurant, the diner made famous in Seinfeld. This is a typical New York diner: packed, huge staff and no room to display mile high lemon meringue pie. Although I'm sure they have it.

We went to Mark's room for a moment, and then Harry and I took public transportation to 86th Street, a shopper's paradise. The purpose was to buy a pair of everyday sneakers, since his were purchased when he was still in high school. I am a bad mother. Then he said he needed a hat and a warmer jacket. I sugested he look for a Holden Caulfield hat. Harry read that book last year at age 18 and loved it. Apparently, teenage angst is the same as it ever was.

We went to a store called H & M, because it was there. There were dozens of hats in the men's department, but only one Holden Caulfield cap, for $10. Harry tried on a dozen coats before he chose a modish dark gray herringbone pea coat. He also picked up a hoodie and a pair of warm gloves. He remarked at how cheap everything was. Cheap for him. My baby, until now indifferent to style, is suddenly a fashionista. It must be because he goes to Vassar.

Harry found replacement shoes he liked and also a pair of winter running tights, this at Modell's. Then we stopped at Fairway to buy steak for dinner. Harry ate chicken for 2 weeks in Peru, and he doesn't eat much meat at school. In honor of his last meal, I made Pisco Sours. Good thing dinner was easy to make because those drinks go down easy and make you want to take a siesta.

Today we're driving upstate to retrieve the minivan so Harry can drive all his stuff (including skis) back to school. I'll spend a couple of days at the house and return to NYC Thursday.

Simply put, children are expensive.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Emily has told me about Pisco sours. They are popular in Chile too. Your shopping trip sounds like my kind of day. By the way, Eddie Bauer in Garden City is closing....so sad. They are selling off everything including the wooden hangers. Not being able to resist a good deal, I bought 35 of them!