Saturday, November 22, 2008

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

My daughter got into the college of her choice the conventional way. She worked hard in high school, visited colleges of interest, applied and was accepted. All I had to do was buy envelopes and stamps and make a run to the post office. Easy.

It appears I'll have to do more than buy postal supplies for my son's application process. Apparently, I'll have to make dinner for visiting coaches.

Yesterday, the coach at Mark's top-choice school sent an email saying he'd like to come and chat with us. It's a three-hour drive, and he'll be arriving around 4 or 5 pm. Naturally I'll ask him to stay for dinner.

Do coaches make home visits to uncover signs of family dysfunction?

You can tell I'm new to this recruiting thing. Many parents would have hired a consultant to handle the process, but since we are of the low-key minor parental involvement school of thought, we've been letting Mark handle it himself. I'm guessing the coach is coming because he's really interested in Mark and is going to support his application. Naturally we're all excited, but the question of what to make for dinner looms large.

Should it be something casual and fun like tacos? How about something on the grill? My son Harry suggested meat loaf due to it's all-American comfort-food status. Mark, who's indifferent to food, could care less what I serve. He's more concerned about potential parental faux pas's than anything else.

I have plenty of time to think about the menu. More pressing is the menu for Thanksgiving.

Do you think the coach will like Turkey Surprise?

No comments: